Requesting Public Records from the Office of the Attorney General Through FOIA
The Office of the Attorney General maintains records in accordance with retention rules. You may request records by filing a FOIA Request. However, some information is available immediately including:
How to File a Freedom of Information Act Request with the Office of the Illinois Attorney General
You are encouraged to submit your FOIA Request online through our Public Records Center:
If you prefer to submit your FOIA request via mail, e-mail, or fax, you may do so as follows
OAG FOIA Officer – Elizabeth Ptacek
Office of the Attorney General
500 S. 2nd Street
Springfield, Illinois 62701
- Please make your request for records in writing. The Office of the Illinois Attorney General does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose.
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of a representative of the Office of the Illinois Attorney General, you may call our Springfield Main Office at (217) 785-9266, our Chicago Main Office at (312) 814-3000, or our Carbondale Main Office at (618) 529-6400, to be directed to the proper person.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a 15-cent-per-page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: "I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request." In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest-not simply your personal interest-and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your email address.