NOTORIOUS FORD HEIGHTS DUMP CLOSED
Refuse on Site Rises More Than Six Stories
Chicago - Attorney General Lisa Madigan said that years of alleged illegal dumping at a 40-acre site in Ford Heights ended last week, thanks to an agreed order entered on Monday, Dec. 10, in Cook County Circuit Court. The order requires that defendants, Lincoln, Ltd. and owner John Einoder, cease all operations at the site, which is located north of Lincoln Highway between Interstate 394 and Torrence Avenue in Ford Heights . The order is the result of a lawsuit Madigan filed against Einoder in August 2002.
“This is good news for the Ford Heights community which has endured the negative impact of this company's illegal activity for years,” said Madigan. “I will keep pushing to make sure that the cleanup begins.”
The Attorney General's office and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency have fought to shut this site down since 2002. During that time , the dump has grown to more than 100 feet high and 40-acres wide. Through the years, the facility has accepted a variety of wastes including bricks, concrete, soil, sand, clay and cinder blocks, as well as wood, metal and plastic.
Despite last week's progress, Madigan cautions that it is not the end of the legal battle. Einoder and the other defendants are appealing Cook County Circuit Court Judge Philip Bronstein's Aug. 14, 2007 order, granting summary judgment to the state and finding that the defendants violated environmental laws. A decision on Einoder's appeal is expected next year.
Attorney General Madigan also is prosecuting Einoder for another alleged illegal landfill that is located less than a mile away in unincorporated Cook County . A trial in that case is ongoing.Special Litigation Assistant Bureau Chief David Adams, Assistant Attorney General Jay Monteverde and Environmental Bureau Assistant Attorneys General George Theophilos and Steven Sylvester are handling the case.